Veg & Tofu Curry
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
This is a simple and tasty curry that is easy to make and packed full of nutrition: Fibre, Protein, Vitamins, Minerals and Phytonutrients . One variation you can try is replacing the tofu with a can of chickpeas.
- 250g Brown Rice
- 1 Tbsp of Rapeseed oil
- 2 Carrots – Chopped into Julienne Strips
- 1 Red Pepper – Chopped into squares
- 100g Mushrooms (Chestnut or White)
- 1 Courgette – Chopped into discs / half moons
- 1 Jar of Red Curry Paste
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Cans of Coconut Milk
- 1 200g Block of Tofu – Chopped into cubes
- 2 Heads of Bok Choi – Roughly Chopped
- 1/2 Lime – Juiced
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Bunch Fresh Coriander (optional)
First rinse the rice in a sieve under the cold tap. Add the rinsed rice to a pot of boiling water, add a dash of salt, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked (it should be a little al dente).
While the rice cooks, heat the oil on a low to medium heat, add all the chopped veggies except for the bok choi and stir to heat through for a couple of minute.
Mix in the curry paste and heat for 1 minute. Now add the spices (Cumin and Ginger) and stir thoroughly.
Empty the 2 cans of coconut milk into the pot and bring to a low boil.
Add the cubed tofu.
Cover and simmer until veg are beginning to get soft – the carrots should be still a bit al dente.
Add in the chopped Bok Choi and stir. Allow to wilt.
When veg is cooked add the lime juice and stir.
Add salt and pepper to your taste. I would advise against using too much salt here – the curry pastes often contain a lot of it so you don’t want to overdo it.
Serve the curry over the cooked rice.
If you enjoy fresh coriander you can add it as a garnish on top before serving.
* – A note on ingredients. I use the Thai Gold brand, but any brand will do. Don be afraid to try out different brands of canned goods and sauces etc. The differences can be great and finding the right one for your preference will make the meal much more enjoyable!